Can I stop my divorce if I change my mind?

Don't Make A Move Without Knowing Your Options

Can I stop my divorce if I change my mind?

Relationships go through ups and downs naturally. Sometimes, couples feel like a low is too low, and they must take steps to end the relationship. So, they file for divorce.

However, things can change. Once you are in the process of divorcing, you may decide it is not what you want to do. If this happens to you, you may wonder if you can stop the divorce. According to the California Courts, it depends on whether you were the person to file for the divorce as to whether you can stop the process.

Did not file

If you did not file for the divorce, then you do not have the ability to stop the process. The only option you have is to talk with your spouse and have him or her end the divorce. You will need to do this through a legal process. It starts with sending a Request for Dismissal form to your spouse. If your spouse is not on the same page and does not want to stop the process, then there is nothing you can do because the state does not require consent from both sides to end a marriage.

Did file

If you were the one to file for the divorce, then you can end it. You would file a Request for Dismissal form with the court. Keep in mind, you can only do this prior to the court finalizing the divorce. If the judge has already made a final ruling, you cannot reverse it. You would have to remarry.

On the other hand, if you decide later to restart the process, you must start over from the beginning, filing all the paperwork and going through all the steps all over again.